Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Re: Grants lists

So wonderful to hear all of this from you. I have spent a lot of time thinking about technological adoption - specifically how an individual would select a specific solution out of a large set of choices.  As a car free individual I have long been confounded by transportation and would like to use my skills to that end.  As a geographer my skills are in high demand but I almost always end up working for firms that are heavily fossil fuel based.  Hence, it has always been a conundrum how I would live up to my own principles while also attending to my needs.

I have been attending get togethers and sending emails to people about doing demographic research for quite a long while now but have yet to get too deeply involved because I have to find substantive work.

Having said that, I am certain that the research I would like to do is relevant to a funding organization of some kind - academic, industry or both.  I emailed you because of my intense interest in this area and am happy to ear that you are also interested in finding out more about students, seniors and or low income populations.

My focus up to now is in the wide disparity between what ridership or cycling/pedestrian activity shows and what community groups like the bike coalitions, pedestrian orgs or transit advocacies show.  I would also bring attention to the way that the US Census understates all of these modes.  I believe that there are potentially simple steps that may be taken to identify how these orgs and datasets may be analyzed and or improved to be more accurate.

I would propose that funding be provided to first develop a concept of the state of current research and subsequently a test case could be developed to show how current numbers may be used to show the real demographic make of - specifically of our local community.

--- I saw your email and immediately dropped everything to respond and looking back now I notice that I have said a mouthful.  I think you can tell I am relatively excited about these types of opportunities and would love to sit down and discuss them with you.  Please feel free to call or email about meeting some time.

This series of experiences are emails I have sent or received regarding my career or job interests. This Correspondence Series is meant to provide examples of my interactions with industry actors for future reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment