Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Send her Some Resources

On 24 January I wrote that that the day before I walked to the a local cafe and had a call with an HR manager at a local engineering and environmental sciences firm. She basically had dozens of questions for me because they were looking at overflow and would need to bring in more help for hundreds of hours of work.

She wanted to know what kinds of work I had done and if I was capable with the jobs that they had. She wanted to know about my bandwidth and how much work I could put in.  I noted that she thought I would be a 1099 and was surprised that I had actually been on W-2. I told her I would send her some resources.

Subsequently I sent this email:

You and I had a very productive conversation the other day.  I am emailing to touch base with you and see how your inquiry regarding options in the area of GIS went?  I told you that I would forward you some resources which may be of use to you.

The American Association of Geographers is my national association.  I have presented at their national and regional conferences on a number of occasions.  You can find their industry resources page here: http://jobs.aag.org/

The website for ESRI is really useful when it comes to getting technical help for GIS. They mostly provide high end consulting. This is their contact page: http://www.esri.com/careers/main/contact-careers

However, when it comes to getting help with small or short run projects I would suggest getting in touch with the User's group.  Dennis (SFBAGUG@gmail.com) is a great resource for this - I had a sit down with him only a short while ago.  This is their site: https://sites.google.com/site/arcgisgroup/

If software or automation is a problem I would suggest looking into FME from Safe.com.  In my line of work I have found that by and large the biggest issue requiring man hours is data transformation and FME is particularly good at this.  An example of this kind of translation is turning CAD into GIS data but there are myriad issues that will come up in the course of a project and FME addresses many of them.

As I said over the phone I am particularly interested in working in environmental sciences and your needs seem to be a perfect fit for my skill set (see my attached resume).  If you have any questions or comments on any of our communications don't hesitate to call or email.

This series of experiences are emails I have sent or received regarding my career or job interests. This Correspondence Series is meant to provide examples of my interactions with industry actors for future reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment